Yuletide greetings, happy holidays and a merry Christmas to all!
I'm finally home from the sea for a little while and have stocked up the beer cellar (aka the garage!) with some fine offerings which I will be talking about soon enough. I also got a Christmas beers box from Best Of British Beer which I will review shortly.
However, now that I am home the one thing I have been longing to do is cook with beer, more accurately, BAKE with beer :-)
I found a fun little recipe that used Coor's Blue Moon as a cup cake ingredient and thought I'd give it a go...
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup Blue Moon beer
1/4 cup milk
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat into the mixture.
- Mix the Blue Moon beer and milk in a cup and add to the bowl, beating to mix.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl, then slowly add to the mixture, folding in so as not to knock the air out of it.
- Finally add the vanilla and fold in.
- Fill paper cake cases 2/3 full and bake in the oven at 200°C for 18 minutes until they are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I iced half of my batch with lemon buttercream icing and left the other half plain as there are fussy people in my house J
I found that the beer added an interesting texture to the mix, making it a bit more chewy.
Try it out and let me know what you thought.